I used to be like a little kid in a candy store…
Whenever I’d visit the air freshener aisle at the grocery store. I’d rub my hands together in delight as I perused the hundreds of brightly-colored packages begging for me to place them in my cart. The scents always sounded so tantalizing… Island Delight, Fresh Lavender, Strawberry Fields, Boysenberry Splash. I’d excitedly pick a few different options and hurry home to try them out in my little farmhouse…
And I was disappointed every time.
Not only did the scents never quite match their descriptions, but they smelled fake and overly perfumery… And they gave me an instant headache. The final straw was when I found out my fake-smelling commercial air fresheners also contained nasty chemicals. At that point, I just decided to just have a boring smelling house forever…
Thankfully, I didn’t have to suffer for long. I’ve since learned there are a myriad of ways to make your home smell cozy and welcoming, without pumping your nostrils full of chemicals. Essential oils are my favorite trick for making this possible. These homemade air freshener recipes are awesome because:
- They are all-natural and allow you to experience the health benefits of essential oils at the same time.
- They don’t smell fake like commercial air fresheners do.
- It’s cheap to mix them up.
- You can play around with scents and find what you like the best.
- Do I really need to give you more reasons? Just go make some DIY air fresheners already!
My favorite blends for this recipe include:
- 10 drops Cleansing Blend and 10 drops Lemon
- 7 drops Nutmeg, 5 drops Cinnamon, 7 drops Orange
- 8 drops Idaho Balsam Fir and 10 drops Lemon
- 8 drops Stress Away and 8 drops Lime
- 8 drops Peppermint and 8 drops Lemon
- 10 drops Lemon and 8 drops Rosemary
- 8 drops Lavender and 10 drops Roman Chamomile
- 10 drops Citrus Fresh and 5 drops Spearmint
- 7 drops Tea Tree, 5 drops Cleansing Blend and 5 drops Lemon
- 7 drops Christmas Spirit, 8 drops Idaho Balsam Fir
One of the easiest ways to use essential oils every day is by using homemade essential oil sprays. Sprays are a simple and fun way to incorporate essential oils into your routine. If you make them up in advance, they will be readily available when you need them.
Warm your home up with the warm citrus scent of this fall room spray! Combine the following in a 4-ounce spray bottle:
Do you know any children who get scared at night? This recipe is a spray to help keep scary nighttime monsters away!
A calming nights sleep is achieved by using:
- Ylang Ylang; reduce anxiety, relaxes muscles, and quiet the mind
- Orange; reduce anxiety, ease stress, and soothing
- Lavender; reduce anxiety, supports sleep, and calming emotional balance
You can use Cardamom in so many different ways. Any time you want to get your energy flowing, and open your heart to feeling good, it’s there to help.
A room spritz is a great way to invite Cardamom into your home and life, so you can spice things up! Here’s a spritz you can make in a 2 oz (60 ml) glass bottle of distilled water.
Looking for the perfect spring/summer room spray? This Spring Fling spray is light, fresh, and has a touch of sweetness and tart.
Cleaning the toilet is one of the most unpleasant chores that we have to do in order to protect our health en keep our toilet fresh. But who said that you can’t make this chore easier? You really should try the following cheap cleaning agent, instead of investing in expensive cleaning agents full of harsh chemicals.